Mosaic Tile Guide Forums Forum Index
Mosaic Tile Guide Forums
Helpful and informative discussions about making mosaics!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I improve an outdoor mosaic base?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mosaic Tile Guide Forums Forum Index -> Mosaic Questions and Answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: How do I improve an outdoor mosaic base? Reply with quote

I received this question via email.

Hi Jen,

I was looking at your site trying to find an answer to my problem. How do I get adhesive to stick to a slick surface? I've got a 4' tall tile pipe that is glazed,( these were used for plumbing in the past) I intend to use this piece outside and have tried using mortar as the adhesive but when the tiles are applied it all just starts sliding. what could I coat the base with that would give the mortar something to stick to and would be okay to use outside?
I was thinking maybe a coat of paint with some sand mixed in or something? Could really use some help on this...don't want to do the whole thing and then it falls apart after one summer outside.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Stumped in Indiana...... Pat
Jen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat

There are a couple of options you can take. I wouldn't suggest cementing the mosaic tiles with mortar and grout when using a metal base as mortar is not really designed for "slick surfaces".

As the mosaic is outdoor and is on metal you need a really strong adhesive. Firstly I would suggest using a two part expoxy adhesive as when you mix the two glue components together they form an incredibly strong adhesive which will hold different mediums such as tiles to metal or tiles to wood.

Checkout this page for more information
http://www.mosaic-tile-guide.com/adhesives/two-part-epoxy-resin.html

The second option is to use a two part expoxy adhesive/grout. This mixture is made in the same way with two parts that are mixed together however you can use it as both a cement AND a grout. Therefore you get double strength.

Checkout this page for more information
http://www.mosaic-tile-guide.com/adhesives/epoxy-adhesive-and-grout.html

Goodluck and Happy Mosaicing!

p.s. I would be really interested in hearing anyone elses comments on this matter as i have had little experience in mosaicing metal bases (epecially ones outside)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mosaic Tile Guide Forums Forum Index -> Mosaic Questions and Answers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: