Mosaic Tile Guide Forums Forum Index
Mosaic Tile Guide Forums
Helpful and informative discussions about making mosaics!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do I find great outdoor bases?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mosaic Tile Guide Forums Forum Index -> Mosaic Questions and Answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Where do I find great outdoor bases? Reply with quote

This question was emailed

Hi Jen,

I found your site via google, I think..
Great site, loads of tips and helpful things, thanks for all the freeby info!!

I hope you dont mind me asking you for some MORE info, but I am desperately trying to find some wrought iron tables, new or used, where I can mosaic the surface.
I've checked Ebay but can only really find large new items where usually you have to buy a whole garden set.
I've found some sort of commissioned hand made wrought iron tables, but that tends to get a bit pricey.
Do you by any chance know of any suppliers in or around London that I can try?
One often seems mosaiced tables at craft fairs, so I would have thought it wouldnt be too difficult to source...

Many thanks,
Maureen
Jen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maureen

I have had a look around on the net and to be honest I can't seem to find any that are not in sets. There are a few companies out there that seem to make them on a commission basis however they are pretty expensive and if you had to ship it then it would be ridiculously expensive.

As it turns out I lived in London for a couple of years and I reckon you might have a chance somewhere out in Greenwich. I have a vague recollection of a man selling wrought iron tables in the market area last summer. If you can find him then perhaps head to the antique section of the markets (off the road that heads up to the "time tower" (sorry i have no idea what it is called, but it is where greenwich mean time comes from!) and there are many people selling old antiques, furniture and replicas. Here I hope you might find someone you can help you!

Otherwise I would try second hand shops or other markets such as "portobello rd" in Notting Hill. They have antiques and furniture at the Notting Hill end (the beginning). These guys seem to live off scounting out the best deals and finding rare things for other people so I think you could be in with a chance.

You might also ask an art supplies school or shop. Often they have knowledge of local teachers and art courses. If there is a mosaic course in the area the teacher will have more of an idea (than me) as to what you can get close by. I actually went to The Putney School of Art and Design and I reckon if you gave them a call they might be able to let you know of a course in the area.

Goodluck and Happy Mosaicing.

p.s. When you find a base and mosaic it, be sure to send us a picture or post it in our gallery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mosaic Tile Guide Forums Forum Index -> Mosaic Questions and Answers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: